MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. This is a detailed overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the 3 aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C or N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a wide range of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also used in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually include the etching treatment of the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are widely used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to enhance the action and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to comprehend a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, there is however still room for additional optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the fabric could be studied and improved in depth to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be commonly used in numerous fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they could be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in lots of fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.